Wednesday, July 9, 2008

English conversation class - eikaiwa

Tonight, the eikaiwa (英会話) went swimmingly, because of God. I was so tired today, and granted, last night I went to bed around 12:30 am and got up around 6:00. But it was cool when I was lying in bed, praying: “God there’s no way I can do this without you. Please give me inspiration at least some kind of topic for what to teach and… okay, there it is. Thank you. Now I can go to bed and don’t have to worry about it because you gave me the inspiration I just asked for. You are awesome. That was awesome. Thank you, so much. Good night. I love you.” Or something along those lines. So, yeah, the idea with which God struck me was to emphasize the topic of family and use the tools I have with me. Thus, I thought about pictures, photos, movie files, and examples of every kind of relative that exists (since I have a big family, all the bases are covered).

During the “class” we finished up last week’s worksheet, asking likes and dislikes and what each person thinks of different activities. Then we moved on to the family by filling out a little worksheet I modeled after the workbook. It had a list of either one or the other sex (daughter or son but not both, aunt but not uncle, etc.) and they had to fill them out while I drew a family tree on the board. It was pretty cool. I love it when they say “Ahhh!” all together, like they all came to realize something at once. Aha moments are generally my favorite moments anywhere they happen. I passed out pictures of my family and then explained in-laws and step-relatives etc. Someone actually asked about the name “King Moody” as I had it written on the board. I explained about middle names and then later on the lesson I explained about why he was “King” Moody. I shared a scene from Teenagers from Outer Space and everyone thought it was really cool. I stopped the scene a couple times to explain some things and also to say “鼻を見て!” (Look at the nose!) and they enjoyed that. I probably should have said it in English, but… spilled milk. I then showed the video of Jeff at the wedding and I think they could see how alike Moody and Jeff looked. I showed the whole clip of the Space Odyssey theme music introducing everyone in the bridal party (they all knew the song) and explained my step-relatives. By then I had already run over time.

So, woohoo. That was delightful. And here’s the preemptive prayer of absolute necessity: same time next week, God? Maybe sooner? Maybe now? I love Thee.

No comments: