Monday, June 23, 2008

No steam of mine

Whoever prayed for me, it was answered extensively. There’s no way I could have functioned today on my own steam. God was in me today, lit a fire under me and I could teach well, I thought. One of my best teaching days, I feel: Confident and enjoyable. And this was going on no sleep. I’ve been up since 9:00am yesterday. (roughly 28 hours now). I prayed before I started my school day for God to be my energy because I know there’s no way in the physical world I could have functioned alone as well as I did today. God is amazing. And patient. And SO merciful and willing to give many chances. Today is a very inspiring day. Taught phonics to my 一年生 and introduced the game “Parachute” which is a much friendlier/funnier version of “Hangman,” using my dear friend, Patty’s idea of a guy in a parachute falling into water with a shark or on land with a cactus, or on top of a porcupine (very looney tunes). If they guess wrong, the strings break (erase). I made some modifications (the blanks for the letters of the word form a bridge that the students must complete with the correct letters).

坂本先生 was so pleased with my phonics work with the 一年生 that she asked me to teach phonics to the 三年生 class after their unit test. It was fun, energetic, and I think they were getting it. It was cool when Ryo was the only one in the class to get the right answer for one of the silent “e” examples (Pete). He seemed pretty excited about it, too. Oh, God, that’s sounds right out of the text book! (二年生) It’s exciting because usually he’s goofing off or trying to sleep in class (maybe he was, five seconds before he gave the answer). But anyway: cool moment. Heehee. I was talking about “th”s and “ch”s and when I spelled “the,” I think it was Ryo who said “t-heh,” so that was funny (he said it on purpose; had it not been on purpose, it would have been a lot less funny).

And thank you to all those who prayed for me. And of course, thank You, Lord for listening. All praises to You the Maker and Giver and Taker of all!

No comments: